Climb Aboard the Collection
The Soo Line Caboose located near the village's C&NW depot is the Soo Line Caboose # 138 built in 1888 by the Lafayette Car Works in Lafayette, Indiana, and used by the Soo Line until the 1960's. This is a wooden cupola type caboose donated to the New London Heritage Historical Village by William Winkler and moved onto the site in 1990.
Next to the Soo Line caboose is the Chicago & North Western Caboose #11153. It was built in 1968 and is made of steel. It saw service on the coal trains of Wyoming during the boom of the 1970's and its last service was between the Minneapolis and Duluth area. It was moved to New London in 1993.
A Soo Line Boxcar is also part of the museum's rollingstock collection. Inside the 1928 boxcar is a display of railroad signs, maps, and other items. It was originally used to transport new Model T's to dealerships.
There are also small flatbed work cars on the tracks. Be sure to visit the village's depot for displays of interesting railroad artifacts and memorabilia.
The most recent addition is a locomotive from the Laona & Northern. This 300 horse-power diesel was built by the Vulcan Iron Works in 1941. It was donated by Robert Polaske, and came to New London in 1999.